February 22, 2012

Reading... or not

I realized I haven't posted what I've been reading for a while and most of it has to do with the novel I've been writing - it sure takes a lot more time to write than to read!

I only read one book last month from start to finish, but I really enjoyed The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston. This book is just full of ephemera from the 20's and the story is really cute.

A problem I've been having is that the books I had been waiting to read were just not as good as I hoped they would be. I mentioned how I devoured the first 3 books of the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini, but after a long wait the 4th book (Inheritance) just did not grab my attention away from my own story. So now the massive book is just sitting on my bedside table.

Another book I just couldn't get into was Star Wars, Episode III by Matthew Stover. I started reading the prequels after the movies came out and I really got hooked on the politics behind the whole coup. Cloak of Deception by James Luceno really sets the stage for the whole saga. I liked the book versions of Episode I by Terry Brooks and Episode II by R. A. Salvatore. I wanted to read the clone wars' books, but I got stuck on Shatterpoint (also by Matthew Stover) and stopped.

It took me over a year to pick up a Star Wars book again, and I started with Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno. It was a great setup for Episode III and I was really excited to read it... until I actually started. I guess I just don't like the way Matthew Stover writes... I saw the movie, so I might just skip over to Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. I'm sure James Luceno will not disappoint!


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: