February 25, 2013

Fantasy books

I haven't done a book post in a while. I've been on a fantasy kick lately, which may or may not have to do with the unpublished manuscripts I've been critiquing.

I finally got around to reading Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass last fall. The polar bears should have been enough to captivate me, but I loved the premise of everyone having a daemon companion that expresses their inner self. The book was fun and insightful, but I have yet to go back and read the rest of the series.

I read Lucienne Diver's Bad Blood. I liked the way she worked the Olympian gods on earth trope. The next in the series is out, but I didn't jump on it yet. Most recently, I read Richelle Mead's Succubus Blues. It was fun, full of spunk and voice, but I'm not sure I felt invested enough to finish the series. I guess I'm not into series as much as I used to be...

On a more philosophical side, I read Peter Ackroyd's The Plato Papers. I might have read it too fast and I'm still not sure I got all the minutia. But I found it a great allegory of Plato's cave.

My favorite of all the books I read in the past 6 months was K.M. Weiland's Dreamlander. I loved the how she meshed the real world with the fantasy/dream world. I highly recommend it.

Next on my list is Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife.


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've only read The Golden Compass. I'll have to check out some of the others.

Ali said...

Your book recommendations look great- Thanks Patchi!