July 8, 2016

2016 Reading, part 1

I thought I posted the books I read this winter, but my last book post if from the end of October. So here are my favorites from the first quarter (in semi-chronological reading order).

The Chantress Trilogy by Amy Butler Greenfield. Loved Chantress and Chantress Alchemy, but the Chantress Fury was a bit too fantastical (in the lets add everything but the kitchen sink kind of way) for me. Mary Jane Wells's narration kept me from giving up on the book, so I highly recommend the audiobook.

Followed by Frost by Charlie N. Holmberg. Loved the characters and the plot. I couldn't stop myself from reading the book even though I really liked Angela Dawe's narration.

Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross. I bought this one for my mother-in-law, but I really enjoyed the story.

Second Star To The Right by Mary Alice Monroe. This was a cute Peter Pan-inspired tale told from the adults' perspective.

Valour and Vanity by Mary Robinette Kowal. I love her Glamourist Histories series and this heist one did not disappoint.

Letters to Zell by Camille Griep. This epistolary fairy tale retelling has the depth of character missing in the originals. Outstanding narration by Amy McFadden.

The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen. I loved all three books (False Prince, Runaway King, and Shadow Throne). This should be a textbook example of unreliable narration. Charlie McWade's narration is excellent. I need to read this series with my kids.

I'll post the spring books in a later post.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: